Friday, August 13, 2010

Chicken bok--bok!!

Welcome to Chicken bok--bok!!,


I decided to start a new blog aside from Chewychewsup.blogspot.com/
because I quickly realized, that I love chickens,ducks & turkeys and in a short amount of time have become consumed and obsessed with them.


I have to say they are fantastic entertainment for the entire family. My daughter and my youngest son spend hours playing with them, helping come up with housing solutions, and asking lots of questions that I am still learning myself. They forage for eggs left by the Pekin duck (more about her later) around the yard. And squeal with excitement if they find one. They help change the straw bedding and mend fencing. They love to observe each chicken, duck, turkeys personality and tell which is feisty and which is meek. I think they love it more than watching television and as their MOM, I have not one problem with that!

First thing in the morning I have to drag myself from the nice warm bed due to the fact I have chickens, ducks and turkey's that need my attention. Slip on my flip flops and through the garage door I go turning on the hose as I unlock the back garage door. Grab the mile long hose and yank irritably as I slosh my morning coffee on the garage floor followed by a trail from the cement just outside the garage door all the way to the makeshift chicken area. I always set my coffee cup on the rabbit hutch then with both arms dump the ducks tiny pool, refill the water feeders, and add some fresh water to the shallow pan I have put into use for the baby ducklings (as not to drown). It always brings a smile to my face to see November and December (Turkeys--that my husband still thinks are really tall chickens....) perched patiently in the makeshift run. They always just watch me as I put the hose through the old fence that I made a A-frame out of. They sit perched on tomato stakes that I ran through the holes in the fence to make outside perches for them. The three duckling with them instantly start quacking and running up to the water pan ready to play and gulp hungrily from the fresh water. Then I go and get a few level scoops of Chick feed, dumped into a big pan and away it goes with me back to the makeshift chicken area. At the moment my chickens are using an old green rabbit hutch that was "FREE" on the side of the road. I thought about moving our Mini-rex rabbit Thumper to the new (new to us) rabbit hutch but it works great for the moment for the chickens. And in the future I can use it for new hatch-lings, ducklings or what have you. So anyhow by this time the chickens are really noisy...they see me filling the water and the chick feed feeders and are anxious to get out of their hutch. As soon as I twist the little metal knob, before I can swing the door completely open they are on their way out and half flying towards their food. The morning is busy for about 30mins with a feeding frenzy, running around and noise making....then it trails off as they rest their full crops and find shade to hide from the hot morning sun.

I will check on them again around noon..........



The pictures above are: First photo-Little White Silkie Bantam named "Sushi" second photo-Feather legged rare breed named "milkshake" Third photo-Brown Silkie Bantam-Named "Einstein"

No comments:

Post a Comment