Thursday, July 21, 2011

Chicken Pics Bok Bok...


Above: This is Hawk--He is the king of the castle so to speak :)

Above: Hot summer days means leaving the coop door open for some extra fresh air
Above: In the process of alternating the fence pens. This way they will get all new grass and I will replant the pen area that they have eaten all the grass area.
Above: Hawk again with just the butt end of our Hen MilkShake

Above: Three of our newest flock-They are polish breeds. The white one's name is NERD because he is so funny and flighty. He reminds us of a Tall Bird Version of a Nerdy guy with glasses. He is one of our favorites and his personality makes him so unique!
Above: This young pullet is supposed to be a plymouth rock? I'm not sure if they accidentally gave me something else at the hatchery. Well...I love her all the same and she is a loner, does her own thing when free ranging and I often have to find her because she is not usually with the flock. Sweet as can be-Boo is her name.
Our rabbits hang with the chickens. They are to fat to fit through the fence and they have yet to learn or are just so well feed they don't try to dig under it.

Above: This little polish suddenly just dropped dead. The day before our cat jumped out at her and I think she just dropped dead from fright. poor thing!
Above: So this silkie is named Sushi and  he needs a silkie girlfriend. He is shall we shall to short of legs to quite reach his lady friends. LOL
Above: This is the sweetest Polish. She has taken it upon herself to follow me esp. my feet and she wants to be pet. I love her-Molly is her name
Above: She's the bee knees so she thinks! so that is her name! she is the boss!
Above: We had to cull this rooster as he liked to attack the kids. He tasted great!

Above: This is Meg she lays blue eyes! Love her
Above: Our favorite bantam Little Milkshake. He is tame and loves my youngest son the most. When we are outside sitting on the porch he comes up jumps up on the arm of the chair then into our laps.
Above: Before we knew this girl was a well girl ...we named her Flaco. Love polish breeds.


Above: These chicklets are my own........

Above: This is Dot-A fox got ahold of Dot when they were free ranging one day. I loved everything about Mrs. Dotty!
This is perdy-She eats when she's nervous!
When I was out of state handling the sudden sicken and death of my poor DADDY....all of my ducks were taken over a few weeks by that sneaky fox.

2 comments:

  1. I too have a small backyard flock. Don't know where you are located, but there is a great opportunity for learning more at the Mid Atlantic Small Flock Poultry Expo hosted by the University of Maryland on February 4, 2012. If anyone is interested in attending a whole day of fun classes designed for backyard people check it out at http://carroll.umd.edu/ag/poultry.cfm

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got over here to meet you and your flock. What a great looking bunch of girls and boys. Hawk looks like a good protector. We had to find a new home for our mean rooster. Well they all have been mean but only one was mean to humans. Your Meg is an amazing looking Araucauna. This past month I lost my one remaining Araucauna and she was my oldest chicken. She was a little over six. I can't wait to look at the rest of your blog and I plan to come back often.

    ReplyDelete